Property & Business - Winter 2020

PROPERTY | BUSINESS | PLANNING | ENERGY 18 From an Ar tist’s Perspective There are times when a bit of ar tistic licence works wonders and precision drawings can actually work against you. In these days of digital imagery and computer aided design (CAD) everything is millimetre perfect and if it’s not, it doesn’t work. However, in the world of conceptual design and outline planning, when all you want to do is provide an impression of what a development might look like, you can’t beat a good old fashioned sketch. More commonly known as an ar tist’s impression, these hand drawn images are a visual representation of a scene when no other accurate representation is available. Use of perspective helps to add a touch of realism and a loose, sketchy appearance means there are no fixed dimensions that could be used to set a precedence for the subsequent detail design stage. In 2018, JHWalter secured planning approval for a development of four houses in Bur ton-by-Lincoln on land that could be considered open countryside, close to listed buildings and adjacent to the conservation area. We have since achieved approval for the detailed design of the scheme, which was created using CAD in order to provide the accuracy required for construction. However, the most impor tant image used in the whole project was a hand drawn coloured sketch used to obtain the initial outline planning approval. This sketch was highly influential in achieving planning approval and, as it turned-out, the detailed design of the scheme needed to reflect the design characteristics initially set down by this sketch. If it wasn’t for the sketch outline planning approval may not have been granted. This initial sketch and the subsequent detailed CAD work were created by Architectural Designer at JHWalter, Peter Welch, a highly skilled illustrator with over 25 year experience in architecture. Peter Welch SAC Dip Architectural Designer e t 01522 504311 Extensions The GPDO allows many homeowners to extend their homes without the need to apply for planning permission. However, there are cer tain restricting on what you can and cannot build so you will need to make sure your plans comply. If they do not comply it doesn’t mean you will not be able to build your extension, it just means you will need to apply for planning permission and have your plans approved. When considering an extension you will need to play close attention to the impact it will have on neighbouring dwellings, especially in relation to loss of natural light and any potential overlooking issues. If the extension is on or close to the boundary you will also need to be aware of the provisions of the Par ty Wall Act 1996. Although extensions are a good option, they are still linked to the house and this means there is still a physical connection to the living space. This may not be a problem for some, but in busy households this can become a nuisance and a distraction therefore the work and home life balance becomes blurred. Garages & Outbuildings You may not need to apply for planning permission as many garage and outbuilding conversions can be done under the GPDO. You will need Building Regulations approval for the conversion of any garden building if the floor area is over 15m 2 and if it contains sleeping accommodation. Garden Off ice Off the shelf Garden Offices are becoming more and more popular these days. Although in planning terms they are classed as outbuildings, they are in fact dedicated buildings built to Building Regulations standards so that they perform just like a new build proper ty. If less than 15m 2 they may be exempt from Building Regulations. Summary Many home extensions, conversions and small outbuildings may be classed as permitted development, but in most cases you will need to apply for Building Regulations. If your home is a listed building or is situated on Ar ticle 2(3) land, which includes Conservation Area, National Parks, The Broads, Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty and World Heritage Sites, then Permitted Development Rights are withdrawn and you will need planning permission. If you would like assistance with consent and drawings for a home improvement scheme do contact our planning team.